Precision Engineering is devoted to the multidisciplinary study and practice of high accuracy engineering, metrology, and manufacturing. Precision Engineering has been designed with industry to respond efficiently and effectively to the needs of the Precision Engineering industry. This is a workshop programme with hands-on experience on state-of-the-art CNC machines, CAM software and metrology equipment.
This programme can be completed in one year full time. Programme graduates will work as precision engineers in world class manufacturing environments and will be highly skilled in areas of CNC machining, CAD/CAM, and metrology.
Precision Machining, CAD and CNC technology covers the spectrum from traditional manufacturing to sophisticated high-speed, high-precision manufacturing that is required in the design and production of highly specialized equipment and machinery.
A person who has completed this course will be able to:
- Interpret engineering drawings and carry out model based inspection of components.
Support key business metrics with ongoing process improvements and introduction of new manufacturing processes and technologies.
- Support manufacturing process development to meet project milestones and to allow operations to meet their targets.
- Validate requirements on new equipment introductions / processes / process changes.
- Design & develop tools, fixtures, and gauges for manufacturing operations
- Preparation and maintenance of all relevant manufacturing specifications.
Features of Course
- Develops a deep knowledge of materials, design and manufacture through the utilisation of modern technology
- Developed in conjunction with world class companies in response to a shortage in highly skilled qualified engineers
- High practical content in CNC Milling, CNC Turning , MAchining and Metrology.
- Uses industrial equipment to solve real industrial problems
- Allows for maximum learning and self-development
Module 1 - Engineering Drawing and 3D CAD.
Module 2 - Precision Machining.
Module 3 - Metrology and CMM Application.
Module 4 - CNC Turning and CAM.
Module 5 - CNC Milling and CAM.
Module 6 - Advanced Machining.
Graduates will typically be employed in one of the following roles:
Precision engineer in a world class machining environment
Applications engineer utilising CAD/CAM to maximise utilisation of machines tools
CNC machinist and programmer
Process control engineer
Equipment test engineer/technician